The Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities has a job opening for the long-term project
Digital Edition and Translation of the Coptic-Sahidic Old Testament
This is a part-time position (50%) on the public service scale TV-L E 13, starting at the earliest possible date on or after July 1, 2017. The position is fixed-term. The project (planned completion date: December 31, 2036) is based in Göttingen.
The appointee will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Collection and catalogisation of Coptic manuscripts of the Old Testament in an online database (including, if required, the collation and examination of manuscript holdings in museums and collections)
- Transcription and analysis of the manuscript texts to create a digital edition
- Comparison and analysis of the textual tradition for the production of a critical edition of the individual books of the Coptic Old Testament
- Translation of the Coptic text of the edition into English or German
Requirements are specifically:
- Ph.D. or M.A. (or equivalent) in the areas of Coptic Studies, Theology/Religious Studies, Christian Oriental Studies or Byzantine Studies, Egyptology and related fields. Opportunities for training and the pursuit of further academic qualifications (e.g. a Ph.D.) are available.
- A solid knowledge of the Coptic language (Sahidic dialect) and the literature/manuscript culture of Christian Egypt. Additional expertise and experience – especially in the areas of Philology/Editions, Manuscript Studies/Codicology and Digital Humanities – are particularly welcome.
Candidates are expected to have:
- Willingness and ability to quickly familiarise themselves with the textual culture and history of the Coptic Old Testament
- Familiarity with modern databases and online research and the willingness and ability to be trained in the use of a variety of Digital Humanities tools, methods and platforms
- Language skills: the other dialects of Coptic, Ancient Greek and modern foreign languages (relevant for the project are a reading knowledge of German and French). Other language skills, in particular in Hebrew, Latin, Arabic, Syriac or Ethiopic (Ge'ez), are helpful.
- Excellent time management and proven teamwork skills
The Göttingen Academy of Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. In case of identical qualifications applicants with disabilities will be considered on a preferential basis.
Closing date: May 31, 2017
Please send your application (cover letter, CV, copies of relevant diplomas, publication list, if applicable) – in electronic form – to:
Professor Heike Behlmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or:
Dr Frank Feder (email@example.com)
Both are available to answer any enquiries about the project. General project information can also be found here: http://coptot.manuscriptroom.com